Sunday, August 26, 2007

Charred beef!


So I tried out my new WSM I got last weekend. My wife wanted me to cook a couple of briskets . No problem. I set the new girl up like usual. Got the minion method going, rubbed down the briskets and threw'em in at 10:40pm. I've been cooking at 275 degrees lately because it seems to still be tender and flavorful in a little less time, around an hour a pound. The briskets were 9 pounders. At 3:45am I switched the bottom brisket with the top. Temp was holding steady at 275 top and 260 bottom. Checked on the water and she had a lot left (I should've filled her up). I then went to bed and set my phone alarm for 6:45am so I can check them out. Didn't hear my phone and WOKE UP AT 9:45!!!!!!!! I ran downsatirs and checked the smoker, still at 275 on top and 277 on bottom, hmm maybe ok. Opened the lid and saw two meteorites in my new WSM (hence the picture of the meteorite). I pulled them out and the bottom one was charred and falling apart. The top one was firmer. Checked the temp of the top one and it was at 212 degrees. The bottom couldn't even be checked since it fell apart. I let the first brisket stand uncovered to firm up and it will be salvageable. The second is burnt ends without the sauce. I checked on the pit and the reason the temp was 275 was because there was hardly any charcoal left and the temp was in the falling stage. I suspect that when the waterpan finally emptied (it's currently full of grease) the temp rose to 350ish or so and that's when it all went south. If I would've just been up I could've taken them out sooner and saved'em. The higher heat didn't destroy'em, it was the amount of time at that heat. Oh well, it looks like a little bit of chopped beef is all I'll get out of'em.

Today is also the last day for me to prepare for the kiddos coming to school. Tomorrow it's go over rules and procedures and getting to know the students. I'm looking forward to another fun-filled year.

No comments: